Friday, July 23, 2010

A New Sister

I knew this week would be something to remember, and God definitely made that happen.

The week started out like I thought it would - sweet little children ready for a fun week at camp. Monday and Tuesday went pretty well. The kids were still a little nervous, which helped them pay attention and follow directions. As the day went on, they began to "loosen" up, or in other words, act up. Tuesday night I had cabin duty, which means that I was in charge of sixteen 8-11 year old girls into bed. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Having been up since 7am and going nonstop all day, I thought these girls would be asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.
Wrong.
I have never been so frustrated in my life. They wouldn't listen and they most certainly wouldn't go to sleep. There was nothing I could do. I got to the point where I had to in the bathroom, sit on the floor and pray. I prayed for patience mostly. I prayed about how I should handle the situation and what I should and shouldn't do or say. I was in tears. I felt like a failure.
I finally got them to sleep around 11...which is about 2 hours after their bedtime. I sat in bed thinking, "I can't do this." And I was right, I can't do anything. But God can...and He did.

The next morning I woke up to an apology from every girl. Thanks God, for reminding me of your control. So that was over...now for a fun rest of the week.
Wrong Again.
Wednesday night was the start of it. 2 boy campers and 2 of the men counselors got sick. Sick as in flu sick. By about midnight, the count was up to 7. The next morning it was up to about 15, and after breakfast the count was over 20, with me being one of those 20. It was decided that camp had to be cancelled in hopes that none of the other kids catch the bug going around. But before the kids were sent home, they were able to have one more chapel service...and this is where God's amazingness happens. So prepare yourself.
After the girls chapel service, over 10 girls stayed after to learn about salvation. Each were able to talk to a counselor of a staff member, and I was lucky enough to be one of those counselors well enough to talk to a little girl. I began by asking her why she wanted to know more about salvation and what made her want to learn about it. What she said seriously brought me to tears. Here sitting in front of me wasa 9 year old girl who answered my question by saying, "Well, I want a relationship with him, but I just didn't think he wanted one with me."

Lae'sha Brown was saved on Thursday July 22, 2010. She prayed and asked Jesus to be her Savior and I am so blessed to have been able to be a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment