Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bello. Hermoso. Beautiful

I have been reading through the Psalms. It has been so incredible. My purpose for picking psalms...I want to learn and experience prayer as David did. Prayer stole my heart about a year ago and the Lord has been transforming my heart since. 

I read this one the other day and wanted to share.

"Arise, Lord! Life up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless. Why does the wicked man revile God? Why does he say to himself, 'He won't call me into account'? But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless. Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. The Lord is King for ever and ever; the nations will perish from his land. You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more." -Psalm 10

How often I find myself trapped in Satan's net. He makes me believe that I don't need God; I can reach my workout/running goals myself, I can find a boyfriend, I can lead prayer, I can be an effective disciple. I believe these things. I get caught up in the schemes thinking I can control them. I fail every time. I fall under Satan's strength.

That is what makes the gospel so beautiful. The Lord, in a sense, is the best "professor" anyone could want. i am constantly failing the pop quizes, on occassion I'll pass a few. But despite my failure, He still passes me. He never gives up in "tutoring" me, even when He know I'm not always listening. His grace is what always captivates me; it's what always draws me back to Him. he does see trouble and grief. He does encourage me and forgive my sinfulness.

Before I knew Him, I was afraid. I didn't know how to make things right. But now, He has made it so "the man who is of the earth, may terrify no more." I know where I'm going to spend eternity. I am confident that the Spirit guides me.

But as a sinner, the focus sometimes strays. That is the beauty of the gospel.

"I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands." -Psalm 119:176

"For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." -1 Peter 2:25

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way." -Isaiah 53:6

Reading this psalm a few days ago and then hearing how perfectly this morning's sermon at Aletheia related shows me that the Lord does not want me to forget this truth. He wants it on the forefront of my mind. The beauty of the gospel.

"By falsely living out the Bible, we are trying to rewrite it." -Paul Fiske

We cannot create true rest as hard as we may try. Our Creator is the only one who knows how to grant us this gift.

1 comment:

  1. Hi sister in the Lord!, I just read your beautiful blog comments & in regards to the enemy putting doubt in God & lifting our ego at times could be confusing! But I always remember & remind Satan that Jesus is the author of Peace and not of confusion...God bless you and keep you safe and may He guide you through the Psalms to know the answers to life.

    ReplyDelete