Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Compassion Fatigue

My current read is The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. Ah-mazz-ing.
It has heightened an emotion in me that as a Christian should be constantly burning, but instead, mine was barely lit.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." - Part 2 to God's greatest commandment, right?

I often find myself applying this commandment in a way that isn't necessarily how God intended it to be practiced. Yes, we are supposed to love our neighbors (fence-sharing, dog-barking). And I even take it a step further and apply the title "neighbor" to those around me (friends and strangers). But these "neighbors" of mine are all within eyesight and even reaching distance. I'm not saying that this is an incorrect view, because until I started reading Richard Stearns amazing testimony I had this exact view.

In Luke 10:25-37 you will find the well-known parable of the Good Samaritan. The rejection from the priest and the Levite are painting a picture of how I was acting and looking at my "neighbors." The point of this is not to convict, but its to bring awareness - just as this book did to me.

There are so many of God's children that are suffering in this world. Even though they may not be in our town, or even our country...they are still our "neighbors." They need the love and support from us just as much as our best friend that lives down the street does.

This is where the priest and Levite messed up. They saw this helpless man on the side of the road, but because he wasn't of their culture, race, etc. (He wasn't like them more or less) then they didn't want/see the need to help him. Pretty convicting I would say...we, as Christians (just like they were) should be the ones willing and jumping on any and every opportunity to help. But just as the priest and Levite kept walking down the road....we do the same thing when we throw that brochure away we get in the mail to help with AIDs or when we turn the channel because we're sick of seeing that same commercial for those starving children.

And the worst part is, we have no excuse for not helping. We know what's going on and there are means for which we can help. But somehow, I slipped into compassion fatigue. Just because I don't know the starving children in Zimbabwe like the children that are in my life doesn't mean I can't love them. I should love them the SAME.

Reading this book has not only opened my heart, but it's broken it just the same. I want to help, I know God needs me to. So now I'm just praying for Him to show me what to do next. Give? Sponsor? Support missionaries? Be a missionary?

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment