Saturday, September 04, 2010

Sheep Say "Baa"

I belong to Him simply because He deliberately chose to create me as the object of His own affection.


He is our Shepherd. We are His sheep.
I've been reading through a book that dissects Psalm 23, and I've realized how ironic it is that we are similar to sheep in so many ways. God has a way with irony. But humans, just like sheep, are timid, fearful, stubborn, stupid, and are "followers." When I say followers, I don't necessarily mean it in a good way. We tend to follow the crowd...our mob instincts. There is one thing that sheep need, and that's a Leader. A sheep doesn't exist without a Shepherd, just like we don't exist without a God.

We need God, and without Him we are so lost.
We have to be able to admit that we're in need - in need of a Rescuer, of a Protector, and of a Leader. Isaiah couldn't have said it any better by saying, "we all like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way."

The beautiful part of this whole thing though, is the fact that no matter how many times we may "stray," God will always be waiting to call us back. Knowing that and having that assurance in my heart is what makes life worth living. God is so patient, and we are so not.

My favorite verse from Psalm 23: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." -v.4

Reading this and continually gaining knowledge about how important God is and how unimportant I am makes me think more like Him. Thinking like Him will ultimately allow us to act and love like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment