Thursday, January 13, 2011

"The Birds and the Bees" God's Way

Relationships.

They're a tricky business, but if done correctly (and by correctly I mean biblically) they can really amount to an amazing profit. Relationships in general are a vital part of a Christian's life, but God has put purity on my heart. Purity in the context of relationships.

I have come to realize, from past experience, of how important purity is not only to yourself but to God as well. Purity is something God sees as necessary, and anything less would be disobeying Him.

"It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God." -1 Thes. 4:3-5

(For the remainder of this blog, I'm going to use "company of another" in place of the seemingly obvious other word. You'll catch on, if not...well then there are bigger problems.)

God wants us to enjoy the "company of another", inside of marriage. He made it good for a reason. But like all gifts from God, it can be misused. The problem isn't the "company of another", the problem is US. We're sinners who can abuse the proper place of good things God created.
The greater the gift from God, the more power it has for both good and bad.
Sexual purity is not an option of an obedient Christian, it's a requirement. If you are not living in sexual purity, God will not hear your other prayers until you offer the prayer of confession and repentance and commit your life to Him through holiness.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9

The more involved you are in your relationship with God, the more desire Satan has in destroying it. Satan wants to tear you down and use your life as a bad example to other Christians.

But the #1 fact that cannot be forgotten is this: My body belongs to God, not me.
"You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." -1 Cor. 6:20

God has every right to tell me what to with my mind and body.

One thing people often don't realize is that sexual impurity stems from the mind. We become what we choose to feed our minds on. I found this quote and found it rather necessary to include:
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit;
Sow a habit, reap a character;
Sow a character, reap a destiny."

I know this topic is a bit much for what I usually write about, and as I am writing this I'm asking myself whether I'm actually going to click the 'Publish' button. I guess if you're reading it then I did...
My point is not to judge. I've been there and I have to live with my consequences. But because God is the absolutely amazing and gracious God that He is, I am able to live knowing that I am completely forgiven. This post is meant to bring to light how important purity is to God and how important it should be to us as well.

It's a temple for Him, so use it to honor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment