Friday, February 25, 2011

Christians are like Teabags.

Receiving a blessing from God is probably one of the most exciting things ever, especially when it's clearly evident. One thing I have been struggling with lately is that as soon as God sends a blessing my way and answers some prayers...here comes Lucifer (aka Satan). I have been journaling/asking God through prayers why a burden always comes with a blessing

I found this book yesterday called "Breakfast With Jesus." Not really sure where it came from...but it was on my "Jesus shelf" so I thought I'd check it out. The title of Chapter 2...How to Resist Temptation. Opening sentence went something like this:  
Being tempted soon after a blessing isn't a bad thing, in fact, it means you are on the right track.

I love when God makes it easy for me to understand the answers to my questions. He doesn't just point me in the right direction, He literally puts it word for word on a page for me to read. 

The chapter explains this by using the example from Luke when Jesus went out in the desert for 40 days after being baptized. Let's break this down, shall we?
The blessing: Baptism -- Jesus receiving the Holy Spirit sent from God
The trial: the accompaniment of Satan during Jesus' time in the desert

Satan tempts Jesus 3 different times over the course of those 40 days. Each time, we learn something new about the trial and how as Christians we should handle it.

Temptation #1: Physical Needs
Satan tempts Jesus by telling Him to turn the rocks in the desert into bread (given that Jesus is out in a desert, there's probably no drive thrus). Instead of giving into His physical needs, He tells Satan, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." -Luke 4:4
Now I know this type of temptation isn't quite as relevant to us today as it was to Jesus then, but regardless...physical sin is physical sin. No matter what it is or how it is presented, we must use the Word of God to fight it. That's the point Jesus is making here.

Temptation #2: Shortcuts
*This is my favorite*
Satan is asking Jesus to worship Him. In the words of Satan, "Come on dude, just one bow...that's all I'm asking for." 
But here's the thing. A moment of worship can mean a lifetime of service. I know it all too well that doing something "just once" doesn't satisfy. Therefore, if we give Satan that "just once," that one inch, he'll take a mile. The problem with the prowling lion we call Satan is that even when he does deliver his promises (that one temporary satisfying feeling), we still lose.
Just a moment at the altar of greed can lead to a lifetime of regret.
This quote from the book hit me hard and is legit...so I wanted to include it. 
"And too late you discover that all that glitters is the point of a dagger."
Intense.

Temptation #3: Misusing God's Promises
We cannot, I repeat, CANNOT violate God's word and then turn around and expect Him to bless and protect us. It doesn't quite work that way. God calls us to be firm to His word and live our lives solely devoted to it. God isn't a "get out of jail free card," He's our Savior, our Redeemer, our Protection. And to experience that part of Him, we have to take His word as a whole. We can't take bits and pieces and use them as we choose. It's an all-or-nothing type of deal.

To end this, I want to leave a few quotes from the book that well, I liked and thought would be a good way to effectively end this post.

After the dove came the devil. 

Christians are like teabags. You don't know what they're made of until you put them in hot water.


No comments:

Post a Comment