Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The Strings of Life

God's plan surpasses all. I've been trying for so long (and I'm sure I probably will continue just because well, I'm full of gross stuff called sin) to solve problems my way. I've been trying to line God's plan with mine instead of aligning my plan with His. Big difference. A typed sentence doesn't do that statement justice. 

One particular circumstance in my life that has been going on for quite a while has caused me to undermine God and question His reasoning and the results that emerged. While I sit and read that His timing is perfect and all the truth found in Jeremiah 29:11, I tell myself, "okay God. You're right. You work Your magic and I'll just be the rabbit You pull out of the hat." That thought worked for a while. I did trust that His purpose would emerge in due time. So I waited...a week. a month. months. My hope began to slowly grow dim to this whole "trust in His plan". After months in this situation, things hadn't gotten worse, but they weren't were I wanted them to be. So that's when I started trying to pull the strings in this play we call life. I would tell myself, "If I just pull this string here, and just gently tug on that one there...things will start revealing themselves. The problem will be solved. I will have solved it."

False. The only thing string tugging lead to was me being frustrated and even more impatient. Recently (as in 2 months ago) I was at a loss. I had run out of plans, ideas, strategies, etc. I had nothing. It was then that I told God, "I get it. You've been right this whole time. You've sat back and let me play my little game. Can You take over now?"


While typing this, it makes me think of the handful of scenarios when this same thing happened so many times between me and my mom in high school (who am I kidding, it still happens). Just for reminiscing purposes:  This past summer I was determined to cut my hair. Not a trim...more like a "new do". My mom has always loved my long hair and she wasn't a fan of me cutting it. She said several times, "It's your choice, but I know you. You're going to regret doing it and then just complain about it." Of course, me being the the stubborn, know-it-all child that I am, got 8 inches cut off.

Before                           

After
I got home. My mom looked at my face and knew. She knew the words before they even came out of my mouth. "You were right. I should have listened to you." The point to my random desire of chopping my hair off is this -- to show the relationship of my mom in this situation and God in all of our situations where we choose to do our own thing. Notice how my mom didn't forbid me to cut my hair. She didn't (forcefully) try to stop me. Just like God didn't stop me when I was pulling the strings in this drawn-out circumstance. He simply told me to trust Him at the beginning, watched when I failed, and then lovingly embraced me, forgave me of my stubbornness and took the strings from my hands.

That circumstance I keep referring to...He's working it out. And it's evident that His plan is providing so much more peace than anything I attempted. 

Let God pull the strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment