Saturday, February 05, 2011

Taking it for granted...

What I did tonight: prayed
Where: in front of Burruss, Wilson steps, and the sorority dorms
With who: some amazing CRUers 
Why: because we take it for granted

Being able to speak the name of Jesus is such a blessing in itself. A blessing I almost daily take for granted. Walking around just a portion of JMU and praying for the lost souls that surround me on a daily basis was a wake up call I have been praying for. 

We don't get prosecuted. We don't get killed. We don't get held captive.
We may get called names. We could possibly not be considered "popular." But that's the extent of our worries.

As a Christian at JMU, I'm convicted. I have thousands of opportunities to share the amazing truth of the gospel. On occasion, I do take advantage of it. But for the most part, the only thing I worry about while walking around campus is where I have to be, what I have to do, and how much time I have to spare. Not all of this is bad in a sense, because the majority of the time most of these events revolve around Jesus (CRU, bible study, dtime, prayer, leadership, church). 

But this is what gets me...I seldom stop. I don't take a break from sprinting from one location to the next and just sit, listen, and pray. Praying for this campus is something that NEEDS to happen. This campus is in desperate need of some Light. And I'm called to be one of the ones called to go around a light the candles. 

Can you picture it? If every Christian at JMU were to light a candle once a day every day...we would need sunglasses to walk around. Okay, corny metaphor...to the extreme. But still, you get the picture. 

 "Would you light my candle?" That's what God is asking. Now I know this question is used differently in the movie Rent, but consider it. God's asking us to light candles for Him...will we do it?

"Lighting a candle" doesn't necessarily mean witnessing, though it would be amazing to see the Christians at JMU witnessing to someone every day. It also means praying. Praying for specific friends who don't know Jesus. Praying for the campus as a whole. Praying.



He's sending laborers into the harvest. -Matthew 9:38

No comments:

Post a Comment