Thursday, April 07, 2011

Peaches and Mangoes

So I did it. I bought it, and I burnt it. I'm a rebel. The smell of it sitting next to me as I stare at my computer or color-code my notes in my notebook is so relaxing. It gets me in the mood for summer. It adds a homey sense to these white-washed walls. It effectively mixes my two favorite fruits into an aroma that I would picture Heaven to smell like.And the best part is, it was only $1.

That's right. My new Peach and Mango candle :)
To help make more sense of the whole "rebel" title, I live in a dorm...therefore candles are a no-no.

Pretty pitiful that this is one of the highlights of my day. Though the aroma of this amazing little glass jar of wax may give me such a simple joy, I experienced another joy today as well. This one, I would say, couldn't quite be contained in a 3 oz. container.

If you weren't privileged to spend a few minutes outside today, let me just tell you that you missed out. Having class until 3:15 was a little sad, seeing that I only had about 2 hours to soak up this spring sensation. Laying under my designated tree located behind Huffman is where I had one of the best times with God I've had in a long time. I feel like I've been pretty open for the most part on my blog, so sharing a part of my time with Jesus will be okay. Understanding God's love is something I thought I had figured out. I mean that I have accepted it, read about, thanked Him for it, etc. and I've been spending time working on pruning other parts of my life. But what I realized today is I have been taking this free love for granted. 

This is some of what I journaled today...
It's so easy for the concept of love to get blurry when one looks at the world. Love is said in the spur of a moment, love is shown in immoral ways, and love is taking on the same definition as lust. Living in this world, no wonder no one knows what love is supposed to look like. That's where God steps in. He uses Christians to reflect this love that has been torn apart by the world. 
[Insert sentence on how I've shown God's love here.]

And that's where I stop. Hit a brick wall. I can't insert a sentence. I haven't been the mirror God is expecting me to be as His disciple. Loving is hard, at least for me. Satan has used this world to distract me and put "strongholds" in my mind, which in turn control my thoughts and ultimately, control my actions. And that's when He showed me...I haven't embraced and understood His love for me at the level of understanding that I'm capable of. God's love is pure, it's sincere, it's real, it's sacrificial

My main task: Falling madly in love with God...DAILY.

Reading this may make you think, "how is she living for God if she's not loving others?" And that's a great question. I want to rephrase my struggle...I'm not loving others as effectively as I should. There it is. And in order for me to do that, I have to understand what true love looks like and what it's made of. And the only way to do that is to continue to learn more and more about God on a daily basis. The more we learn, the more we love. The more we love, the bigger He gets. The bigger He gets, the smaller we become.

"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." -2 Corinthians 10:4-5

So I challenge you, find out your weakness, your struggle. Don't try to fight it, fix it, or even replace it using the "weapons" of this world. The only weapon that will defeat a spiritual enemy is God's Word. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment