Monday, May 23, 2011

A Must Read

Through Gates of Splendor...left me speechless. The courage, devotion and steadfast trust that was seen in the lives of these 5 missionaries and their wives is something that sends chills down my body. The sacrifice, the submission, the selflessness, the sureness, the sole purpose of each of those men is all based on one thing: the Gospel. Because I want you to read it, I'm not going to say much more except that it is truly a perspective-changing book, one that makes your problems seem so petty and opens your eyes to the desperation of the Gospel.

The book began with Jim quoting Hebrews 13:5 as he wrote in his journal..."I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." I may boldy say, "I will not fear..."

And the book ended with these words found in his diary, "O Jesus, Master and Center and End of all, how long before that Glory is thine which has so long waited Thee? Now there is no thought of Thee among men; then there shall be thought for nothing else. Now other men are praised; then none shall care for any other's merits. Hasten, hasten, Glory of Heaven, take Thy crown, subdue Thy Kingdom, enthrall Thy creatures."

Elisabeth Elliot is truly a Proverbs 31 woman. A woman who sits completely content in the knowledge of Christ. A woman who is not shaken by the tragedies of this world, but instead rejoices in her Lord. A woman who has seen what our Father is capable of. A woman I greatly look up to.

Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment