Sunday, May 22, 2011

Here Am I, Lord

My perspective of life has changed drastically over the last year. Over the past 6 months, I have been prayerfully considering what God is preparing me for. Why occupational therapy? Why Australia? Why the immense amount of trials I faced last summer? Why He's presenting me with ministry opportunities in a church I thought was a lost cause? Why He has changed the hearts of my parents? 

I spoke in church this morning about the opportunity God has given me to serve in Australia for Him this summer. I told my church why I was going and what I will be doing. I had no idea what I was going to say. No notes, no organized thought process whatsoever. I got up in front of the microphone, and that was the end of me. God completely took over. As the words were coming out of my mouth, my eyes were scanning the congregation. I saw smiles and head nods. And afterward, I was greeted with joy and such appreciation. Having the love and support of your church family brings such excitement to my heart. Knowing I will be prayed for while I'm in Australia is one of the biggest comforts I could ask for. God has changed my life around over the last year. He's shown me what it truly looks and feels like to live for Him. 

Back to praying about what my future may look like...because of all the things that God has exposed to me, using my desire to be an occupational therapist for His glory has been thought about quite a lot lately. It's still early to know His plans (if in fact I will ever know His plan), but using occupational therapy and taking it to a third-world country to help further His kingdom, aka medical missions have been a prevalent thought and prayer.

This morning I talked about my desire to reach those who have yet to hear the best news ever told; my desire to play my part in the Great Commission; my desire to give up my life for the sake of others. And you know how God responded? By having this as the closing hymn to the service this morning.

I, the Lord of sea and sky, I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin ,My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night, I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them? Whom shall I send? 

Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain, I have borne my people's pain.
I have wept for love of them. They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone, give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my Word to them. Whom shall I send?

I the Lord of wind and flame, I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them. My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them. Whom shall I send?
 
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

He hears us...and He most definitely will answer us. I'm not saying that I got my answer from singing a hymn this morning. But I do know that He is slowly filling in the blanks to this story of my life. Not giving away too much, but allowing me to know enough in order to continue coming to Him in prayer, in trust and in comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment