Saturday, June 04, 2011

Sore Calfs, Joyful Heart

Relay for Life was last night and I, being the optimistic one that I thought I was, eagerly volunteered to take the 11pm-7am shift for my church. The goal as a church was to have our flag (representative) on the track for the duration of the event, aka 7pm - 9am.


Let's just say it was a lonnggg night. I got there about 9pm for the illuminating ceremony and started walking about 11:20ish. With the exception of a few 15 minute breaks, I walked. I finished off 3 cups of coffee and a couple apples throughout the process. It was cold...48 degrees. So to say the least, it wasn't exactly how I would've spent a Friday night. 
The one thing that kept me going...well two things actually. One, the reminder that cancer victims fight and struggle for long durations of their lives to survive and fight this awful disease...I should not be complaining about walking to support this fight. This time and energy sacrifice of 8 hours is nothing in comparison to what those who have this awful disease have to go through. The second thing that kept me going (other than the overload of caffeine) was being able to sit at the top of the bleachers overlooking the track and spending time with my amazing God during the sunrise.

This is what I wrote between 5:50-6:15am this morning:

Watching the sunrise after a long night of walking brings so many thoughts and feelings with it as it peeks its way over the trees.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." -2 Corinthians 4:16
As tired, sore, and exhausted as I may be...reading that verse is such a great reminder of the state in which I sit. I can see so clearly (and feel) how much I need my Lord. Not just to give me strength, but to keep me going. I wanted to just give up and sleep hours ago. But I didn't for one primary reason: to spend these few minutes with my Creator during one of the most beautiful times of the day. As I sit here, I feel how weak I am and know that I am nothing without Christ.

Life would be without purpose, without calling, without joy, beauty or hope...and most importantly, without love.

He proves His power daily, but do I prove my trust in Him just as much?

"Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?" -Job 38:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment