Friday, January 28, 2011

Loss or Gain?

God put a thought in my head today. He asked me, "Casey, if I were to take away everything that was precious to you, would you still have an identity?"

All through high school, my identity was determined by my talent -- grades, SPORTS, socializing. Sports was emphasized for a reason. That's the area of my life that Satan constantly fed my heart with pride. I was consumed with myself and how good I was. I wasn't one of those people who flamboyantly flaunted it, but I carried myself in a way that everyone knew that I knew it...if that makes any sense. I was fed those lies for the majority of high school. It wasn't until God took sports (softball specifically) away from me that I realized that I had no idea who I was without it. That was a struggle in my past and I thank God He has shown me the good in it all.

So sports being my idol haven't been a struggle since, and I honestly think God has shown me enough truth and changed my heart in a way that won't allow it to happen again. But I did ask myself today...is there a "softball" in my life now that, if taken away, I would be right back to where I was my senior year of high school, completely oblivious to who I was?

It may not be something as obvious as idolizing a sport. But maybe pride in ministry, leading, friendships, grades, control? Christians are faced with pride on a daily basis. In fact, I believe that Satan uses pride more than anything else to attack a Christian. So though it may not be as obvious as a physical idol, it could still be present. That is something I have to check myself every day of, and by checking, I all too often find me being guilty in multiple areas.
 Only God can make us aware of our sin, and only He can take them away from us.

Am I investing myself into something that, if taken away, will knock me flat on my face?

You're probably thinking, this is a random post...especially since you're not struggling with it anymore. And it's true. This is a pretty random post. But if you get the time, I encourage you to read the story of Rachel and Leah in Genesis. Reading that today during my discipleship is what spurred this question.

Leah was finding her identity in childbearing, that's how she saw she was pleasing her husband, Jacob. But then God took that away from her and made her barren. There's a lot more to the story as to why she reacted to the way she did, and that's a whole other days' post. BUT, my point is...Will you still have an identity if the most precious thing in the world to you was taken away?
It may be family or a best friend. A boyfriend/girlfriend, an injury that hinders you from every playing sports again. Whatever it may be, I challenge you to pray for God to prepare your heart in a way that is strong enough in Him to deal with any loss that He may allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment