Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Live.

Ever since my cousin died this past August, death has become more real to me. I've lost family members in the past, but this is the first time death has become REAL for me. I got a text from my dad late last night informing me that a close family friend had passed away yesterday afternoon. Though I'm not nearly as close to this man as my dad was (seeing that he was old enough to be my dad's dad) it still brought so much sadness to my heart last night as I was lying in bed. Thinking about all this man accomplished in his life, how many lives he had impacted (my dad and uncles included), and how much he was loved and will be missed. He was well-known in the small town of Smithfield, Va. Everyone remembered him for his old beat up red Jeep Wrangler with no doors, for always having a pipe dangling from his lips, his incredible "blacksmithing" abilities, and mostly for his humor. 

Death is a real thing, but it was something I found myself taking lightly. As I laid in bed last night thinking, praying and rereading the text from my dad, tears started rolling down my cheeks. Death is the ultimate wake-up call when it comes to the urgency of the gospel. Thinking that we're not guaranteed tomorrow makes me tremble knowing there are people in my life that do not know Jesus. It makes my current petty problems and trials disappear as I meditate on the salvation of those who I love the most. Will they ever know Jesus? Do they think they need Jesus? What is holding them back?

Live with urgency. Live with purpose. Live with compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment